Develop and enhance your speechwriting ability through this six-week, evening program designed to give you the theory and practical skills you need to be a knowledgeable policy resource and trusted communicator for your principal. This program combines expert instruction, analysis of today's hot-button policy issues, and in-depth speechwriting assignments. You'll hear from a distinguished roster of seasoned speechwriters and top policy analysts, and network with fellow communications professionals. Utilizing the knowledge and techniques learned throughout the program, you'll compose and deliver a capstone policy speech and receive feedback from experienced speechwriters.
Learn how to:
- Understand your principal's voice and policy positions
- Write about policies that are new to you
- Present complex policy in everyday language
- Identify the core message
- Craft an audience-centered message
- Integrate expert opinion and research analysis to support your arguments
- Effectively organize a clear policy speech
- Utilize effective support for your arguments
- Employ appropriate style for the issue
Who should apply?
Speechwriters and aspiring speechwriters on Capitol Hill, in the Administration, or in policy-oriented non-profit organizations. For aspiring speechwriters, preference will be given to those currently in communications roles.
For more information, including the dates of the next program offering, contact Becky Turco at [email protected].